A Confirmation Opt In link (COI), is used for those customers who do not operate based on Legitmate Interest, in the interest of maintaining GDPR regulations. They could be attached to a Smart Form on your website, meaning that a contact leaving their details would not automatically be added to any mailing lists unless they had "Confirmed" that they wanted to be added.
This article will aim to equip you with the tools to build the COI link.
Setting up your COI
Go to Tools > Confirmation Opt In > Create New
Title your COI > Create
- Navigate to the Settings Tab
- Set up your Sender Email Address, who it looks like the COI email has come from
- If you have multiple domains attached to your account, you can choose which domain is hosting the COI pages
- Select the unsubscribe that you will be using for this COI. If you operate with multiple unsubscribes for different segments of audience, select the option that this contact would fall under.
- Tick the tickbox if you want the Confirmed Statement to display for all the steps of the COI. You can leave this blank which means that the statement will not display, however it will still be stored against any contact record who confirms.
- Here is where you can edit your Confirmed Statement. The Advanced Editor will open up the html editor.
Sync settings allows you to sync up changes made across all stages of the COI process. For example, if you Sync the Button Settings, a change made to the button in the email would be reflected in the other pages used.
Sign Up Email
- Navigate to the Sign Up Email tab
- The Confirm on Sign Up email tab would allow the end user to click Confirm on the email, and be taken straight to the Confirmation Page, skipping the Confirm/Recaptcha stage
- Write your Subject Line for the email
- Choose a Sender Alias for the email
- Input your Reply Address for the email
- You are able to add in a Preview Header which acts as a Super Subject line, almost like a subheading to your Subject Line
This is where we will be styling the Confirmation Opt In email. On the left hand side we have the different editing options, which we can see reflected in the editor on the right hand side.
- Choose your logo image for the top of the email here
- Click on an editable section on the email on the right, and then click Insert Confirm Statement. This will pull through the statement that you wrote on the previous page
- Make changes to your Page background here
- Make changes to your Center background here
- Make changes to your Button here, such as the Text, Background colour and Font colour
This step is optional if you have enabled Sign Up from Email above. The idea is similar to that of the 1st landing page you are taken to with an unsubscribe.
If you have opted to use the Confirm/Recaptcha stage, then this is where you can edit how that page will look. The editing processes are the same as for the Sign Up Email.
- If you want to enable Recaptcha on your Confirm page, then you will need to tick this box. Make sure you have your keys already prepared from Google
- Here is where you can make changes to this Confirm page, however if in the Settings stage you enabled the sync for any elements, then the same settings will pull across from your Email settings
This is the confirmation page that the user will see once they have confirmed that they want to be added to your marketing lists - much like the confirmation page a user sees when they unsubscribe.
- Navigate to the Confirmation Page settings
- Tick the box to enable a redirect url after submission, and paste in your chosen URL into the field below
This is where you can design the confirmation page settings, once they have clicked to confirm they want to be opted into your mailing lists. Again, if you have enabled syncs for the design settings, then this should pull across from the Email design a few steps back.
Confirmation Email (Optional)
You can also enable a confirmation email to be sent to the individual upon successful sign up, however this is an optional step.
- Navigate to the Confirmation Email tab
- Tick if you would like to enable this feature
- Add in your subject line
- Add in your Sender Alias
- Add in your Reply Email Address
- If you want to insert a Preview Header, like a super subject line, then you can do so here
Just as with the other editing steps, you can edit how this confirmation email looks using the editor above. If you have sync turned on, these settings will be pulled across automatically.
Already Confirmed Message
Sometimes a contact might try to sign up who has already signed up previously, in which case you will need slightly different settings to let them know that they already exist as a contact in your database.
- Navigate to the Already Confirmed tab
- To enable a redirect in this instance, tick the box and enter in your redirect URL into the field below
You can edit the "Already Confirmed" message using the editor as above. The sync will pull across the same design settings as the other emails/confirmation messages, so you might just want to reword the text in the editor on the right.